Teaching Here

Teaching Here

What You Need to Know


Average starting salary is $34,000




University of New Mexico and Western New Mexico University (Optional two or three year program)


One year

Becoming Certified to Teach

  • Overview
  • Is it possible to complete a master's degree at the end of the two years?
  • Is a master's degree required?
  • Which universities do you partner with?

Certification Requirements

In order to teach in New Mexico, corps members must be able to obtain a valid Pre-Level One License. To that end, corps members must:

  • Demonstrate that they have received a bachelor’s degree
  • Pass a background check
  • Take and pass the New Mexico Teacher Assessments in their content area
  • Enroll in a teacher preparation program

Most corps members teach with a Pre-Level One License for one year and then, provided they have fulfilled all coursework and testing requirements, receive the state’s Level One Provisional License. Coursework for licensure can be completed as early as the end of the first year of teaching depending on the university partner.

Through a two-year "master's plus licensure" partnership with the University of New Mexico in Gallup, corps members in the Four Corners end their commitment as fully certified New Mexico teachers, with many completing their master's degrees in education.

Master's Degree Option

In the Four Corners, UNM-Gallup currently offers a two-years master's program and Western New Mexico University offers a three-year master's program.


If you have a teaching license from another state, you can apply for interstate reciprocity by providing a copy of your current license, teacher exam scores, transcripts from bachelor's degree and teacher preparation program, and a district letter verifying year(s) of teaching experience.

Yes, depending on placement.

A master's degree is required for elementary, but not for secondary.

  • University of New Mexico (main partner)
  • Western New Mexico University
  • Santa Fe Community College
  • Rio Salado College (Arizona)

Placement School Locations

Subjects And Grade Levels

  • Elementary
  • Science
  • English
  • Math
  • Social Studies
  • Special Education
  • Bilingual (Southern New Mexico only)

Neighborhood Highlight

Regional Expenses

Monthly Salary

Please enter numbers only

Estimated Monthly Expenses

Please enter numbers only

What's Left Over
Ongoing Certification Costs
You may be able to offset ongoing certification costs with an AmeriCorps education award. Learn more.
One Time Summer Start Up Costs
Estimated Start Up and Certification Costs